Before I begin designing, I need to know who I am designing for. I quickly mind-mapped my target audience.
There are a few points from this that I need to remember when designing the website.
- Location is very important – make sure to use these tag words for SEO.
- Parents will be more interested in exam information/educational aspect than other demographics.
- The target audience is mainly female.
- Parents are often short of time, so navigation has to be clear and quick to find information needed.
- Part-time administration assistant
- 36 years old
- Married, with two children
- Lives in Heathfield
Megan’s priority is her family life and she is their main care-giver. She likes to give her children (both school aged) the opportunity to take up many extra-curricular activities. She has a strong focus on their education.
Megan is looking for a dance school in her local area, but hasn’t received a recommendation from anyone at her children’s school. She decides to search online to find one nearby, so types “dance school heathfield” into Google. Anita Gunn’s School of Dancing website comes up in one of the top searches (note – currently it doesn’t feature at all. SEO is going to be crucial to the success of the new site). She clicks on the link, and is impressed by the exam and award information. She decides that this will be beneficial for her children, so views the timetable and phones the number on the website to make plans to sign up.
The terms I envisage people typing into Google (or other search engines) that I need to target are “dance school”, “ballet school” and “ballet classes” followed by the location. Location is very important here, as we are targeting quite a broad area.